Prof. Oscar Franco, MD, PhD, FESC, MFPH
Professor of Preventive Medicine
PI Cardiovascular Epidemiology Group
Professor Oscar Franco has a PhD in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Public Health, which he obtained at the Erasmus University medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He also has a MSc and DSc degree in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Public Health, Erasmus MC Rotterdam. Oscar obtained his medical doctor’s degree at Pontificia Universidad in Javeriana, Colombia.
Oscar currently is Professor of Preventive Medicine at the Department of Epidemiology of Erasmus University medical center in Rotterdam. He is principal investigator of the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Group and founder and director of ErasmusAGE, Department of Epidemiology at Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam.
Before founding ErasmusAGE and coming to Rotterdam, he was Senior Public Health Epidemiologist at Unilever England, Clinical Lecturer in Public Health at the University of Cambridge in England, Assistant Professor in Public Health at the University of Warwick in England and postdoctoral researcher in cardiovascular disease prevention and public health at the Erasmus University medical Center in Rotterdam.
Oscar has been awarded the national Dutch public health prize of 2005. He is a fellow of St Edmunds’ College at the University of Cambridge, UK; fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC), fellow of the higher education academy of England (HEA), nucleus member of the European Association of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation (EACPR), member of the English Faculty of Public Health (MFPH) and honorary member of the Colombian diabetes federation.
- Weng, LC et al. (2017). Genetic Interactions with Age, Sex, Body Mass Index, and Hypertension in Relation to Atrial Fibrillation: The AFGen Consortium.. Sci Rep7,11303.
- Sanders, MGH, Pardo, LM, Franco, OH, Ginger, RS, Nijsten, T (2017). Prevalence and determinants of seborrheic dermatitis in a middle aged and elderly population: the Rotterdam Study.. Br. J. Dermatol.,.
- Leermakers, ETM, van den Hooven, EH, Franco, OH, Jaddoe, VWV, Moll, HA, Kiefte-de Jong, JC, Voortman, T (2017). A priori and a posteriori derived dietary patterns in infancy and cardiometabolic health in childhood: The role of body composition.. Clin Nutr,.
- Voortman, T et al. (2017). Adherence to the 2015 Dutch dietary guidelines and risk of non-communicable diseases and mortality in the Rotterdam Study.. Eur. J. Epidemiol.,.
- Lahousse, L, Seys, LJM, Joos, GF, Franco, OH, Stricker, BH, Brusselle, GG (2017). Epidemiology and impact of chronic bronchitis in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.. Eur. Respir. J.50,.
- Nguyen, AN et al. (2017). Diet Quality throughout Early Life in Relation to Allergic Sensitization and Atopic Diseases in Childhood.. Nutrients9,.
- Nolte, IM et al. (2017). Erratum: Genetic loci associated with heart rate variability and their effects on cardiac disease risk.. Nat Commun8,16140.
- Manousaki, D et al. (2017). Low-Frequency Synonymous Coding Variation in CYP2R1 Has Large Effects on Vitamin D Levels and Risk of Multiple Sclerosis.. Am. J. Hum. Genet.101,227-238.
- Christophersen, IE et al. (2017). Erratum: Large-scale analyses of common and rare variants identify 12 new loci associated with atrial fibrillation.. Nat. Genet.49,1286.
- Khan, SR, Bano, A, Wakkee, M, Korevaar, TIM, Franco, OH, Nijsten, TEC, Peeters, RP, Chaker, L (2017). The association of autoimmune thyroid disease (AITD) with psoriatic disease: a prospective cohort study, systematic review and meta-analysis.. Eur. J. Endocrinol.177,347-359.