Prof. Oscar Franco, MD, PhD, FESC, MFPH
Professor of Preventive Medicine
PI Cardiovascular Epidemiology Group
Professor Oscar Franco has a PhD in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Public Health, which he obtained at the Erasmus University medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. He also has a MSc and DSc degree in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Public Health, Erasmus MC Rotterdam. Oscar obtained his medical doctor’s degree at Pontificia Universidad in Javeriana, Colombia.
Oscar currently is Professor of Preventive Medicine at the Department of Epidemiology of Erasmus University medical center in Rotterdam. He is principal investigator of the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Group and founder and director of ErasmusAGE, Department of Epidemiology at Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam.
Before founding ErasmusAGE and coming to Rotterdam, he was Senior Public Health Epidemiologist at Unilever England, Clinical Lecturer in Public Health at the University of Cambridge in England, Assistant Professor in Public Health at the University of Warwick in England and postdoctoral researcher in cardiovascular disease prevention and public health at the Erasmus University medical Center in Rotterdam.
Oscar has been awarded the national Dutch public health prize of 2005. He is a fellow of St Edmunds’ College at the University of Cambridge, UK; fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC), fellow of the higher education academy of England (HEA), nucleus member of the European Association of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation (EACPR), member of the English Faculty of Public Health (MFPH) and honorary member of the Colombian diabetes federation.
- Wood, AM et al. (2018). Risk thresholds for alcohol consumption: combined analysis of individual-participant data for 599 912 current drinkers in 83 prospective studies.. Lancet391,1513-1523.
- Milic, J et al. (2018). Menopause, ageing, and alcohol use disorders in women.. Maturitas111,100-109.
- Koolhaas, CM, Dhana, K, Schoufour, JD, Lahousse, L, van Rooij, FJA, Ikram, MA, Brusselle, G, Tiemeier, H, Franco, OH (2018). Physical activity and cause-specific mortality: the Rotterdam Study.. Int J Epidemiol,.
- Glisic, M, Franco, OH, Muka, T (2018). Response by Glisic et al to Letter Regarding Article, "Associations of Endogenous Estradiol and Testosterone Levels With Plaque Composition and Risk of Stroke in Subjects With Carotid Atherosclerosis".. Circ. Res.122,e69-e70.
- Lorenz, MW et al. (2018). Predictive value for cardiovascular events of common carotid intima media thickness and its rate of change in individuals at high cardiovascular risk - Results from the PROG-IMT collaboration.. PLoS ONE13,e0191172.
- Mahajan, A et al. (2018). Refining the accuracy of validated target identification through coding variant fine-mapping in type 2 diabetes.. Nat. Genet.50,559-571.
- Aslibekyan, S et al. (2018). Association of Methylation Signals With Incident Coronary Heart Disease in an Epigenome-Wide Assessment of Circulating Tumor Necrosis Factor α.. JAMA Cardiol,.
- Wolters, FJ et al. (2018). Von Willebrand factor and ADAMTS13 activity in relation to risk of dementia: a population-based study.. Sci Rep8,5474.
- NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC) (2018). Contributions of mean and shape of blood pressure distribution to worldwide trends and variations in raised blood pressure: a pooled analysis of 1018 population-based measurement studies with 88.6 million participants.. Int J Epidemiol,.
- Sedaghat, S, Darweesh, SKL, Verlinden, VJA, van der Geest, JN, Dehghan, A, Franco, OH, Hoorn, EJ, Ikram, MA (2018). Kidney function, gait pattern and fall in the general population: a cohort study.. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant.,.